Sunday 16 February 2014

Sunday Funday

Finally some beautiful weather after two weeks of storms: wind, rain, flooding, hail, snow - Great Britain has seen it all!

My family and I decided to make the most of the glorious weather and go for a walk :)

Now we love going on long hikes and it seems that since before Christmas every weekend we have been on a walk. I love them, being out in the fresh air admiring the beautiful countryside, visiting new places and seeing nature at its finest. We usually try to do a long walk and end up at countryside pub. (In another blog I shall try and remember some of my favourite walks and the pubs to visit!)

Today we didn't have very long as my sister had to go to work, so we decided to stay local. We parked in the small village of Chenies near Chorleywood and enjoyed a walk to the Cock Inn in Sarratt. This time the pub lunch stop was half way through the walk, which was lovely! I had pork and leak sausages served with chips and beans. The perfect traditional pub grub! 

Going slightly off track here but I must admit I am not a fan of these new 'gastropubs' that are springing up these days, rather I am fonder of the traditional English pub serving hearty food. The Cock Inn is definitely a lovely traditional pub!

Anyway it was a lovely walk but very muddy in places (was glad I wore my knee high wellies rather than my ankles ones!), and I thought I would share some photos with you.




The River Chess



Looking up the hill to Sarratt




Lucky I wore my green and pink wellies from Boden - a brilliant purchase, lasted me 4 years so far!!



On returning home I decided to do a spot of baking, I made Mickey Mouse cupcakes. I used glace icing and then using Disney cutters created the Mickey toppers! They were very quick and easy to make and would be perfect for a children's birthday party.


I also made apple crumble. It has been a lovely tradition for my family to have apple crumble on a Sunday in the winter by the fire. Recently I have been making my apple crumbles in individual ramekins and they have been going down a treat. I stew some baking apples with golden caster sugar, I like my apples to be very soft and mushy but others like it still have a crunch to their apples. For the crumble topping I wizzed together in a food processor 59g butter, 50g sugar and 100g self raising flour. The apple crumble in individual ramekins usually take 25 mins in the oven at 180 degrees.





Have a good week xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment