Tuesday 6 January 2015

Trying kale for the first time and a healthy dinner

Yesterday I tried kale for first time, I had no idea what to expect and no idea how to cook it so I turned to Google.

I decided to try it in a salad, so I made a kale, lettuce, cucumber, feta cheese, olive and hummous salad dressed with balsamic vinegar. It was delicious. After doing some research I discovered that kale is very tough and chewy so it was advised to 'massage' the kale in a teeny bit of olive oil then leave in the fridge for 10 mins. This is exactly what I did and it slightly softened the kale and made it easier to chew.



I took the advice of how to dress the salad from one of the pages of Lucy's book:



For dinner I had the most delicious curry, Mum gave me some leftover to take to uni and one of these was a red thai curry. I don't have the recipe for it but its made completely from scratch using a number of herbs on spices, you make a paste. I think the recipe is from the Hairy Bikers Asian cookbook. In it included cauliflower, butternut squash and then I added green beans. I served it on a bed of brown rice. It was advised to eat brown rice instead of white, so I did. I have never tried brown rice before and it was yummy! 



I think its all these little changes to the diet that will most definietly help. Its not wise to jump straight into the whole eating too healthy as it will be a shock to the system and easier to give up!

I have booked a personal training session at the gym for next Monday, where the instructor is going to make me an exercise plan which will be fab! I never know what to do at the gym and am always too scared to go on the big weights but this programme will teach me which weights to use and how and when. 


3 comments:

  1. I've never eaten kale before, but thanks for the tips too soften it! I may buy some today and try out some recipes!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely going to try your massage trick, not the biggest fan of kale but I know how good it is for you so... gotta do what you have to do ;) Your mum's curry looks amazing too *runs to the fridge, ravenous*

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I’ve nominated you for The Liebster Award as I think your blog really deserves it ☺. This is a great way to discover smaller blogs! More info on what to do next is in my post here…
    http://www.thehomelychic.com/2015/01/the-liebster-award-nomination.html
    Charlotte Louise Xx

    ReplyDelete